Part 1: The therapist will provide parents with education and coach them in using positive parenting techniques.
Part 2: The therapist will help parents set limits, conduct timeouts, and give effective commands.
Common Childhood Struggles Addressed by PCIT:
- Frequent temper tantrums
- Acting defiantly and/or refusing to follow directions
- Trouble adjusting to new situations or environments
- Constantly seeking attention
- Interrupting others
- Short attention span
- Engaging in power struggles with parents/caregivers
- Difficulty behaving in school, preschool, and/or daycare
Aggressive behaviors: hitting or throwing things